In Memory of Ken Ellwood by Cameron and Carson

Hello. Today we're going to do something a little different. First, this is a collaborative post, meaning Cameron and I (Carson) are writing this together. In this blogpost, we are going to be sharing some memories of a very well-loved friend who passed away a few days after Christmas this year, after suffering very much from Covid as well as pneumonia, on and off seizures, and a lot more.

Personally, Ken Ellwood was one of the few men in my life who I looked up to the most. Out of our family, I was probably the one who spent the most time with Ken in all, from seeing him every day at six-thirty mass, to working with him every week in the woodshop. First off, Mr. Ken was an amazing role model from the time I first met him, years ago when our family decided to start going to daily mass. He was always served the mass in our small chapel, and always had a brown coat he would wear. Ken had long grey hair that he grew out for locks of love, until about a year ago when he cut it for good.       

Ken was always a great role model of a servant for me. I was surprised one day to learn that he was a master woodworker, something I was getting into and loved at that time, and still do. We were able to incorporate me working with him once a week into my school, and I loved it. Together he taught me how to make a big number of bowls, boxes, a paper towel holder, multiple honey dippers, tops, juggling clubs, more bowls, puzzle boxes, a boomerang, a spatula, and also bowls. Yup, he liked his bowls, and we made numbers of them which are around my house and many others who he gifted them to. It is so great to have so many memories of him, that I constantly use every day, like the (you guessed it) bowl on my dresser. Ken was such an amazing person and had a big impact on my life that I won't forget. I'll now let Cameron tell you some of the memories and joys that he experienced with Mr. Ken.

A lot of this is what Carson said, but this is from my own perspective.  In the last four months, one of our friends, Ken Ellwood, had been battling many things, including covid, brain bleeds, and some other things.

One memorable time with him was when Carson and I helped him clear out his lake cabin so that they could rebuild it. Another time, Carson and I went over to help him fix one of our chairs, and I learned a lot, and after we finished, we all went outside and he showed us how to shoot water bottles with his air-rifle that he had. He was also an amazing father figure in my life, especially at the times that I have none. But what we all knew him best for was this: Before covid, he would always serve at 6:30 mass, and we all knew that he did it with his heart. He would be there around five o'clock each morning, to prepare the Mass.

This year, we went to Florida for Christmas to visit our brother, Tyler. The day before we were supposed to leave, we got the news that Mr. Ken had died. So, we left at four in the morning the next day, to make it from Mary Ester, FL, to Springfield, MO. My brother and I were going to serve at the funeral Mass the next day. Right before the funeral, he had a Veteran's burial because he had served in the Navy. The big thing we all knew at the funeral is that he is in a better place than before. Thank you, Mr. Ken, for being a father figure to us.

Eating lunch after some work on Mr. Ken and Mrs. Susan's cabin 
(with Max in the background)

Shooting air rifle with Mr. Ken


A beautiful bowl (if I do say so myself) Ken made with me at his shop

Some experiential learning journal entries (out of many) about Mr. Ken. Entry 1: Text about helping at the cabin.

  Journal Entry 1: Illustration at the cabin, skipping rocks with Ken

Journal Entry 2: Text about making a bowl and strainer masher with Ken

Journal Entry 2: Illustration of products

Journal Entry 3: Text about bowl blowing up on lathe

Journal Entry 3: Illustration of bowl being blown to bits

Making something out of wood with Ken on his lathe




Popular Posts