Shoe Drive for Soles4Souls by Autumn

In the last post I wrote, I talked about the organization Soles4Souls, and how they help the poor in third-world countries by providing shoes and income to the local poor. In this post, I'm going to tell you about how I was able to collect some shoes for this organization.

Gianna was a willing mascot for this picture

Cameron and I are running cross country this season, and I was blessed to be able to organize a shoe drive for our first race (a public school meet) a few weeks ago. The coach in charge of the race was very kind and supportive, which really made the drive come together easily. I made a flyer which he sent out to all the other teams asking them to bring shoes, and then made a few posters and set out donation boxes on the day of the race. I was super happy that the other teams responded and brought shoes. 

Besides that initial shoe drive at the Willow Springs race, I also saved up $100 to contribute to the shoe drive. For the past week or so, I've been able to stop at the local thrift stores and purchase gently used shoes. With 75% off sales and great deals, God helped turn the $100 into 40 pairs of shoes! Most of them are really nice too. It's interesting to think that many people spend over $100 on just one pair of shoes...

The 40 pairs of thrift store shoes

The last thing I'll be doing to collect gently used shoes (at the present moment) is actually tomorrow. Our cross country team is hosting a home race, and we'll have a shoe drive set up there! 

Once I have all the shoes collected, I will process them and ship them off to Soles4Souls, where they will be put to good use, providing shoes and income to the poor in third-world countries! I feel like everything has come together easier than I could have thought. This just shows how God can bring people together through a common interest (cross country) to do a great thing.

Popular Posts